Monday, January 14, 2019

Bug List



1. My roommate’s hair products make the bottom of the bathtub slippery.

Why: She uses a lot of hair product and dyes her hair once a week.

2. My dog has decided he likes to eat my roommates plants.

Why: She put all of her plants on the floor in the house because she didn’t want them to freeze but now they are in his reach.

3. None of the Tupperware in my apartment has matching lids.

Why: We don’t have enough cabinet space to store them all together and it isn’t sorted well.

4. Pedestrians walk straight into bike lanes without checking to see if anyone is coming.

Why: People aren’t thinking about watching out for bikers.

5. There is nowhere to park on campus.

Why: The university hasn’t allocated enough space to meet the parking needs of it’s students.

6. The Gator Salsa club has class outside, even in the winter.

Why: The salsa club is a relatively small and little known club so other organizations get better practice space.

7. My roommate keeps putting the cup I am currently using in the sink.

Why: She wants the apartment to be perfectly clean and I want the apartment to be lived in.

8. I have almost gotten hit by a car several times biking on campus.

Why: People aren’t thinking about watching out for bikers.

9. Someone keeps stealing my bike lights if I forget to take them off my bike at night.

Why: My neighborhood isn’t that safe and its easy to forget them.

10. There is no natural light in my apartment.

Why: There is a large apartment building right next to mine on the side that has all of the windows.

11. My apartment complex doesn’t have any guest parking.

Why: There isn’t enough parking on campus so as a result everywhere around campus has to be very strict about parking too.

12. Everyone in my building shares one washer and dryer.

Why: The laundry room is tiny and the landlord doesn’t care about tenant convenience.

13. It takes twice as long to get anywhere in Gainesville on game days.

Why: The whole town gets filled with football fans.

14. UF kicks students out of the very few parking lots that we can park in on weekends when there are football games.

Why: UF values the convenience of its football fans over the convenience of its students.

15. My little brother is ruining his GPA.

Why: He doesn’t realize that that number will affect the rest of his life.

16. All of my classes are online this semester.

Why: the business school offers a lot of online classes.

17. My oven heats up to an extent that seems unsafe. Even the dials get really hot.

Why: It is old and cheap.

18. Berries are so good but so expensive.

Why: They are delicate and perishable so they need to be shipped quickly and carefully.

19. People keep buying dogs even though there are so many fantastic dogs at shelters that need homes.

Why: People want their dog to look a certain way or they get focused on a particular breed.

20. Many restaurants still give you a straw even if you don’t ask for one.

Why: They are not focused on conservation.

I found that the first seven or eight bugs came very easily but I had to put a lot of thought into coming up with the rest of them. I generally try to ignore things that bug me since it is easier to go through life in a good mood that way. Most of my bugs involve things that make my day inconvenient and waste my time and energy. Towards the end of my list I started thinking about things that don’t affect me directly but still bug me plenty.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emma, it’s great to see that someone else shares so many of the things that “bug” us. For instance, it seems that almost every student at UF has a problem with parking. Hopefully, this will mean that an entrepreneur (maybe even one of us) will one day find a solution to this problem. I agree with what you had to say in your reflection as well… the first few bugs were easy to think of, but then it got harder. Hopefully this means we are developing our entrepreneurial eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emma, interesting to see I am not the only one in the business school that is 100% online this semester. It is definitely a new experience for me. I was the opposite in that I had trouble finding my first few bugs and found the last fifteen or so with ease. I totally agree with number 19, I will be looking through shelters to find a dog for next year.

    ReplyDelete