Friday, February 15, 2019

12A


The segment I would like to focus on is college students. That is because college students have similar needs and because I know a lot of them. I also am a college student so I may have a better understanding of their needs then someone who isn’t one.

The 3 interviews:

Carly: a junior at UF majoring in plant science

Carly expressed that she feels there is a need for better parking and transportation services in Gainesville. Last year she lived off campus and didn’t have a car and she had to take two different buses just to get to the plant science building. She said it was especially hard to get where she needed to go when it was in the morning on weekdays, which is a peak time for students to be riding the bus. She also thought that rider was unreliable and more than once it had predicted the arrival of a bus that didn’t exist.

Jacob: a sophomore at UF majoring in philosophy

Jacob has a car and lives right next to campus so he didn’t have the same issues with parking and transportation that Carly did. However, Jacob feels that there is nowhere on campus to get a nutritious and affordable lunch. When on campus the only options are gator dining services or fast food. I told him about Krishna lunch and he said he’s tried it before but that it wasn’t really his thing. And I also acknowledged that Krishna lunch does serve the same thing every week. Jacob currently brings his own lunch to school because he has spent all day on campus and is not happy with any of the other options.

Dorian: a sophomore at UF majoring in biochemistry

Dorian was very vocal about the lack of standardization in the way that professors lay out their class on canvas. According to him some have tons of tabs and everything is organized perfectly while others have only a few and you have to guess where everything is located. Some professors post assignments on the assignments page and some post them as quizzes and others have the assignments in a different type of software with no mention of them on canvas. He thought that just setting some basic guidelines like that all assignments would be posted under the assignments page would improve the lives and schedules of many students.

I think that the college student segment is fairly aware of their needs. As young adults who are just getting started living on their own they have a lot of issues that need sorting out. The three people I interviewed all had issues that could really only be fixed by the school administration or government of Gainesville. However I think there are some ways an entrepreneur could take advantage of these situations.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Emma,
    I am like Carly in the fact that I have an issue with the parking and busses on campus. Although I do have a car, it doesn't hep me too much because of the fact that there's never any parking spots open even if i were to take my car to campus. This makes me use the busses which takes bout 30 min to reach a place on campus that's remotely near any classes but I still have to walk to class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma, I agree with a lot of the people that you interviewed about some of the issues around UF that need solving. I have a car, but transportation is a nightmare and there is never anywhere to park. Also, the dining options on campus are definitely lacking. I think that it is good that you are able to identify needs of people in a certain segment, specifically college students. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete