Friday, April 12, 2019

26A


This semester I am taking financial accounting. I knew going in that it was going to be a difficult class and so from the beginning I kept up with the reading and lectures. I started studying for the first exam a week in advance I did all of the practice questions and everything. During and even after the exam I was confident that I had done well. However, when the scores were posted, I had failed. I was very surprised and disappointed because I had put a lot of hours into this exam. It really felt like all those hours of my time were worth nothing. It was very disheartening.
This experience made me realize that I really needed to step up my game academically. I needed to spend my studying hours more effectively and really maximize my time. For the second exam I studied more and more effectively and raised my score by 20 points.
I think that failure can be a positive thing. My failure with this test helped me improve my study habits. Seeing failure s a chance for improvement can help you become more successful in the future. This class has helped me to see that.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Emma,

    I could not agree with you any more I believe failure is a huge step in the right direction when it comes to success. To be successful you need to know what failure feels like and what caused it so you can therefore learn from it and the next time around actually succeed. I also agree you should study minimum a week in advance for an exam. Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emma,
    I can definitely relate with the necessary change in study habits. I started study groups for my more demanding classes. That's fantastic that you raised your test score so much. I agree that failure aids in success, at least for those of us with Growth mindsets according to Carol Dweck. How can you learn if you never know what could go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma,

    I too have taken financial accounting and agree that it can be very challenging. I think that in some ways the challenge made finishing the class feel that much more rewarding. I think that failure in that sense can be a very valuable tool as it can push us to challenge ourselves to do better. I agree that there is a silver lining to failure and that in the end it helps you be more successful in the future.

    ReplyDelete