Friday, March 22, 2019

20A


Jason Paris – web designer

Jason is an FSU student that has a lot of experience designing websites. He is certified in web design and development.

I am filling the first slot.

Jason is a friend of a friend. I have met him briefly before but we had never really had a conversation. However, I knew about his skills so I asked for his number.

I texted Jason about this assignment and asked if it would be ok if I called him to talk about it. He was fine with that so I called and we chatted for a bit and then I pitched him my app idea. He thought that it holds promise although it would require a lot of work and design brainstorming to get the app up and running and to be user friendly.

If I ever did decide to actually make this app then I might contact Jason again and see if he would be interested in designing it or if he knows anyone else who would want to.

Chelsea Arlong – Gainesville Pet Rescue

Chelsea runs Gainesville Pet Rescue. If there is a person to talk to about the dogs of Gainesville, its her.

I am filling the second slot.

I knew of Chelsea because I adopted my dog from her rescue and got him treated for heartworm there.

So far I have sent her an email about my app idea but I haven’t heard back from her yet.

Including Chelsea in my network will give me ties to GPR which would be invaluable when I am trying to promote my app.

Bob’s Pet sitting

Bob’s pet sitting is one of a few local pet care businesses in Gainesville.

I am filling the third slot.

I googled pet sitting services in Gainesville and this looked like one of the more promising ones. There was an email listed on their page.

I have sent an email to Bob’s pet sitting with a written version of my pitch asking for his thoughts on if there is a market for an app like this in Gainesville.

Bob’s pet sitting would be a good ally when promoting my app. He could recommend it to his customers and in return I could promote his business on my app.


This assignment has been a challenging one. It is definitely outside of my comfort zone to ask favors of people that I don’t really know. I got some really good feedback from Jason though and I am hoping that I will also learn a lot from what the other two have to say.


2 comments:

  1. It's cool that you talked with someone who designs websites and could actually help you get this idea going. I didn't do that- I mostly just working on finding people to refine the idea, so I should probably talk to someone electronically inclined as well. I also thought that reaching out to strangers for favors was immensely awkward. Great job on the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma,
    I think it is very impressive that you were able to get someone from a place like the Gainesville Pet Rescue. Someone like Chelsea would be a great resource to be able to learn about how your business would fit into the world of pet owners. I definitely agree that it was difficult to do this assignment because I am not usually comfortable with reaching out to people that I don’t usually talk to.

    ReplyDelete